スポケーンIC-120-歴史

スポケーンIC-120-歴史


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

スポケーンI

(C120:dp。6,000; 1. 541 ';b。53'2 ";dr。25'11; s。
31.8 k。; cpl。 801; NS。 12 5、28 40mm。; NS。ジュノー)

スポケーン(C120)は、1944年11月15日にニュージャージー州カーニーのFederal Shipbuilding and DrydockCo。によって1945年9月22日に発足しました。ミス・パトリス・マンセルが後援。 1946年5月17日に就役し、L。E。クリスト大尉が指揮を執った。

スポケーンはニュージャージー州バヨンヌに移り、次にニューヨーク州ブルックリンに移りました。そこで彼女は6月24日にキューバのグアンタナモ湾に向けて航海し、慣らし航海と戦闘練習と武器発射を行いました。彼女は9月11日にニューヨークに戻った。巡洋艦はヨーロッパ海域での任務のために第2艦隊に配属され、10月7日にイギリスのプリマスに向けて出航しました。

スポケーンは1947年1月中旬までイギリスの港を出港しました。ツアー中、彼女はスコットランド、アイルランド、ノルウェー、デンマークを訪れました。 1月27日、彼女はプリマスを出て、ポルトガル、ジブラルタル、グアンタナモ湾を経由して米国に向かい、そこで艦隊演習に参加した後、3月18日にバージニア州ノーフォークに到着しました。夏の間にチェサピーク湾で艦隊と砲撃の演習を行った後、彼女は9月22日から10月14日までブルックリン海軍工廠でヤードを利用できる期間がありました。巡洋艦は10月27日の海軍記念日にノーフォークに戻り、次の配備の準備をしました。

スポケーンは29日にノーフォークから目立ち、11月8日にイギリスに向けて出航するまでバミューダ沖での戦術演習のために第2タスクフリートの他の部隊と合流した。彼女は11月16日にプリマスに到着し、東大西洋と地中海の海軍の任務に割り当てられました。 4日後、船は英国のエリザベス王女殿下の結婚を祝って「正装」を着用しました。巡洋艦は11月24日から26日までドイツのブレーマーハーフェンを訪れ、戦術作戦のためにイギリスに戻りました。 1947年2月、船はオランダのロッテルダムに寄港し、17日にベルンハルト皇太子殿下が訪れました。 3月1日、スポケーンは東海岸に向かう途中でプリマスから立ち上がって、3月11日にノーフォークに到着しました。 18日、彼女の指定はCLAA-120に変更されました。

今年の残りの期間中の東海岸沿いのスポケーンの作戦は、5月27日から9月15日までのニューヨーク海軍工廠でのオーバーホールによって中断された。 1949年1月4日、船は地中海(CV-47)とマンチェスター(CL-83)で地中海に向けて出撃しました。 1月25日、アテネで、巡洋艦はギリシャのポール王とフレドリカ女王から王室訪問を受けました。スポケーンは第6艦隊ユニットとの戦争ゲームに参加し、トルコ、イタリア、フランス、サルデーニャ、チュニジアリビア、アルジェリアの港を訪れた後、5月23日にノーフォークに戻りました。

スポケーンは夏の間、第4海軍区の海軍予備役の練習船として行動し、その後バージニア岬地域での訓練演習に参加しました。

1949年10月24日、スポケーンは不活化のためにニューヨークに出航しました。彼女は1950年2月27日に予備役になり、任務から外され、ニューヨークに停泊した。 1966年4月1日、彼女はA-191に再指定されました。スポケーンは1972年4月15日に海軍名簿から削除されました。彼女は1973年5月17日にLuriaBros。&Co。Inc。に売却され、廃棄されました。


ワシントン州スポケーンの歴史

NS ワシントン州スポケーンの歴史 アメリカ合衆国北西部では、スポケーン滝とその周辺が何千年もの間多くの文化が集まる場所であったために発展しました。この地域の先住民は、肥沃な狩猟場とスポケーン川の豊富なサケのためにそこに定住しました。内陸北西部を探検した最初のヨーロッパ人は、カナダの探検家で地理学者のデイビッド・トンプソンであり、ノースウェストカンパニーのコロンビア部門の責任者として働いていました。リトルスポケーンとスポケーンのつながりで、トンプソンの部下は新しい毛皮交易所を建設しました。これはワシントン州で最初の長期的なヨーロッパ人の入植地です。

最初のアメリカ人入植者、不法占拠者J.J.ダウニング、彼の妻、継娘、そしてS.R.スクラントンは、1871年にキャビンを建設し、スポケーン滝で主張を確立しました。1873年にこの地域を通過した2人のオレゴン人であるジェームズN.グローバーとジャスパーマテニーは、スポケーン川とその滝の価値を認識しました。彼らは開発の可能性を認識し、160エーカー(0.65 km 2)の土地と製材所をダウニングとスクラントンから合計4,000ドルで購入しました。グローバーとマテニーは、ノーザンパシフィック鉄道会社がこの北部ルートを横断する幹線を建設するための政府憲章を受け取ったことを知っていました。 1881年までに、ノーザンパシフィック鉄道が完成し、ヨーロッパの主要な入植地がこの地域にもたらされました。ノーザンパシフィック鉄道が到着し、その後ユニオンパシフィック、グレートノーザン、シカゴ、ミルウォーキー、セントポール、パシフィック鉄道が到着して市内の鉄道インフラが追加されたことで、スポケーンはインランド北西部の商業の中心地になりました。これは、米国西部で最も重要な鉄道センターの1つでした。スポケーンは、エキスポ'74で最初の環境をテーマにした万国博覧会を主催し、世界博覧会を開催した史上最小の都市になりました。銀、木材、農場の価格が下落すると、都市経済は衰退し始め、1990年代まで続きました。スポケーンはまだよりサービス指向の経済への移行を試みています。 1999年のリバーパークスクエアモールのオープンは、スポケーンアリーナの建設とスポケーンコンベンションセンターの拡張を含むダウンタウンの再生を引き起こしました。


HistoryLink.org

1909年11月2日、世界産業労働組合(IWWまたはウォブリーズ)が正式にスポケーンの言論の自由の戦いを開始しました。これは、IWWの組織化に反対する条例である、路上での発言を禁止するスポケーン市議会条例の公の反抗に盛り込まれた市民的不服従訴訟です。この日、IWWのメンバーは一人ずつ石鹸箱(ひっくり返った木枠)を取り付けて話し始め、スポケーン警察は彼らを箱から追い出し、刑務所に連れて行きます。初日、103人のウォブリーが逮捕され、殴打され、投獄されました。 1か月以内に、燃えるような若いウォブリーの雄弁家エリザベスガーリーフリン(1890-1964)を含め、逮捕者は500人に達するでしょう。スポケーンの言論の自由の戦いは、市が条例を取り消すことで終了します。それは他の都市で言論の自由の戦いを開始し、アメリカの歴史の中で言論の自由を保護するための最も重要な戦いの1つと見なされています。

雇用機関は沈黙を好む

スポケーンのスティーブンスストリートには、伐採キャンプや建設作業員に就職するために1ドルの仕事を探している多くの一時的な労働者に請求する雇用機関が並んでいました。その後、雇用主は労働者を1、2日維持し、解雇し、別の労働者を雇用します。労働者が別の仕事を望んでいる場合、彼は雇用機関の1つに行き、それを得るために別のドルを支払うことができます。

IWWの主催者であるジェームズウォルシュは1908年の秋にスポケーンに到着し、2、3千人の怒っている労働者で通りが急増しているのを発見しました。少なくとも1回、ウォルシュは雇用機関を破壊するために設定された暴徒を落ち着かせ、代わりにIWWに参加するよう男性に促した。その年、IWWは図書館、葉巻と新聞の売店、会議場を備えた組合ホールを設立しました。組合は週に4、5回会議と講演を行った。新聞、 インダストリアルワーカー 設立された。

「サメ」または「ヒル」として労働者に知られている雇用機関は、スポケーン市議会に路上で話すことを禁止する条例を可決するよう説得し、これは1909年1月1日に発効しました。卸売製材業者は、反対しませんでした。

IWWは当初協力し、組合ホール内で組合会議を開催した。夏には収穫期が始まり、多くの労働者が町を去りました。 8月、市議会は救世軍のために路上で話すことの禁止に例外を設けました。これはIWWには受け入れられませんでした。秋には多くの一時的な労働者が町に戻り、言論の自由の戦いが続いた。 NS インダストリアルワーカー ウォブリーのメンバーが原因で逮捕されるためにスポケーンに来るように呼びかけ、ホーボー、バインドレスティフ、ティンバービーストとして知られる世界中からの移民労働者が町に注ぎ始めました。

「友達と仲間の労働者!」

11月2日、石鹸箱が設置され、ウォブリーズはその上に立って、集まった大勢の群衆と話し始めました。それぞれの「話者」はすぐに逮捕されたので、才能のある演説者である必要はありませんでした。伝説によると、一人の勇敢な魂が箱を取り付けて始めました:「友達と仲間の労働者!」今のところ、準備ができている警察官はいませんでした。男は舞台恐怖症に襲われ、「警官はどこだ!」と大声で叫んだ。

翌月、500人以上が逮捕されました。米陸軍省は、市の刑務所が溢れかえった後、ライト砦にウォブリーズを封鎖するように提供することにより、言論の自由の憲法上の権利との戦いにおいてスポケーン市を支援した。

反逆者の少女が到着

若い主催者のエリザベス・ガーリー・フリンが町に到着し、ポストに鎖でつながれて彼女の即時逮捕を遅らせました。彼女は熱烈で魅力的な演説者であり、町の他の市民がウォブリーズが右側にいるという見方に近づき始めた理由の1つでした。

フリンは刑務所に入れられ、後にアカウントが公開されました インダストリアルワーカー 保安官が刑務所の女性のセクションを有益な売春宿として使用し、警察が顧客を勧誘したという告発を含む、市の刑務所の汚い、混雑した、そして一般的に恐ろしい状況の。警察は、フリンがこれらの告発を行った12月10日号のすべてのコピーを破棄しようとしました。これまで、8人の編集者が逮捕される前に問題を出していました。 12月10日号の後、Wobbliesは インダストリアルワーカー 1910年5月10日までシアトルに移動し、スポケーンに戻しました。

スポケーンがやってくる

スポケーンの言論の自由の戦いは全国的な注目を集めました。 IWW自身の組合の歴史は、その成功した結論を次のように説明しています。

結局、Wobbliesは スポケーンプレス、地元の女性の市民団体、AFLクラフト・ユニオンの加盟組織、さまざまな社会主義者、ドイツの社会。

1910年3月4日、スポケーンは条例を取り消し、囚人は釈放された。やがて19の雇用機関の免許が取り消され、企業は労働者を直接雇用し始めた。世界産業労働組合の評判はスポケーンで最高点に達しました。

スティーブンスストリート、メインアベニュー、スポケーン、caから南を見る。 1910年


アプリケーションがオープンしました! 2021年の歴史的保存ファサード改善助成金申請

歴史的建造物の修復に役立つお金をお探しですか?いくつかあります! 2019年に導入されたスポケーン歴史保存局は、第3サイクルの歴史保存ファサード改善助成金を提供できることに興奮しています。市の歴史的保存条例の改正によって作成された歴史的保存ファサード改善助成プログラムは、選択された申請者に最大で一致する資金を提供します $5,000 歴史的なファサードのリハビリのために。スポケーン歴史登録財およびスポケーン市内に記載されているすべての物件が申請の対象となります。 (これには、最近リストされたBrowne&#8217s Addition Local Historic Districtの寄贈物件が含まれます。)

2021年のアプリケーションは 2021年6月15日火曜日に期限が切れます。

ご不明な点がございましたら、Logan Camporealeまでお問い合わせください:[email protected]

下の写真をスワイプして、小さなファサードの愛が何をすることができるかを見てください!


HistoryLink.org

スポケーンはワシントン州東部で最大の都市であり、以前は「インランドエンパイア」、現在は「インランドノースウエスト」として知られている州間高速道路の商業の中心地です。 1870年代に定住した後、すぐにスポケーン郡の郡庁所在地となり、鉱業、農業、木材、運輸、教育、医療サービスの地域センターとなりました。都市開発は、2005年の人口20万人をはるかに超えて広がり、現在の市域内に住む約43万人の郡に住んでいます。スポケーンは、多くの都市と同様に、ブーム、バスト、停滞、回復の時期を迎えています。 100年以上もの間、ミシシッピ川とシアトルの間の人口の少ない平野と山々に、歓迎される都会のオアシスを提供してきました。

スポケーン

サイトの人間の占有は何世紀も前に始まりました。川、特にその壮大な一連の滝は、在来種の居住とその後の白人の定住の両方の理由でした。最終的にスポケーン川と呼ばれるこのコロンビアの支流は、この地域の先住民であるスポケーンを支えた鮭でいっぱいでした。サーモンランの間、他の部族が釣り、貿易、ゲーム、お祝い、そして社交のために滝でスポケーンに加わりました。さまざまな理論がありますが、「スポケーン」という名前の最も一般的に合意されている意味は「太陽の子供たち」です。

ホワイトセトルメントが増加するにつれて、スポケーンはこの地域のより広範なインドとホワイトの紛争に巻き込まれました。 1881年に、スポケーン保護区が現在の都市の北西に設立され、1908年から、スポケーン川のダムが部族のサケベースの生活様式を終わらせました。

ヨーロッパ人が到着

毛皮商人と宣教師は、スポケーンが最終的にハブとなるより広い地域を横断した最初のヨーロッパ系の人々でした。 1807年、カナディアンノース航空の毛皮商人兼地図製作者であるデイヴィッドトンプソン(1770-1857)が大陸分水嶺を越え、スポケーン川地域を含むコロンビア川上流の流域を探索し始めました。宣教師のエルカナウォーカーとクッシングエールズ(1810-1893)は、1838年から1848年までこの地域にいました。それ以来、この地域を訪れた白人は、滝の壮大さだけでなく、その潜在的な経済的重要性にも打たれました。

1871年、ジェームズJ.ダウニングとセスR.スクラントンは、川の南岸の滝に製材所を建設しました。 1873年、ジェームズN.グローバー(1837-1921)とパートナーのジャスパーN.マテニーが、おそらく町を設立するために土地を求めてオレゴンから到着し、滝のある場所の可能性に感銘を受けました。彼らの最終的な意図を明らかにすることなく、彼らはダウニングの製粉所と彼が1841年の予言法の条件の下で不法占拠者として保持していた160エーカーを購入することに成功しました。 「スポケーンの父」として知られるようになったグローバーは、次にスクラントンの主張を獲得した。 1877年、彼はパートナーのマテニーを買収し、ドイツ生まれの製粉業者であるフレデリックポストを説得して、滝に製粉所を建設しました。グローバーはすぐに既存の製材所を拡張し、雑貨店を建てました。

スポケーンは町に成長します

店、材木、小麦粉の恩恵を受けて、より多くの家族が川の南側に定住し始めました。教会、学校、銀行、ホテル、サロン、新聞がすぐに続きました。やがて、ポストは、後にアイダホ州ポストフォールズとなる川のさらに上流に製粉所を設立するという当初の意図を追求しました。 1875年に到着したS.G.ハバーマレ牧師は、ポストに代わってスポカン滝の製粉業者になりました。 (初期の頃、都市の綴りはスポケーンとスポケーンの間で異なり、「滝」は1891年に削除されました。)

1870年代の進取的な入植者の中には、アンソニーM.キャノン(1839-1895)とジョンJ.ブラウン(1843-1912)がいました。彼らは、彼の店を含むグローバーの所有物の半分の利益を購入しました。キャノンはスポケーンフォールズで最初の銀行家になり、ブラウンは法務を始めました。グローバーとともに、彼らは新しく植栽された地域の不動産開発に積極的に取り組み、裕福な市民のリーダーになりました。より多くの入植者が到着するにつれて、ホテルの必要性が明らかになり、1877年にウエスタンハウスが建設され、翌年にはより大きなカリフォルニアハウスが建設されました。 1879年、フランシスH.クックは最初の新聞を設立しました。 スポカンタイムズ。 1879年には、スティーブンス郡から切り出されたスポケーン郡が創設され、スポケーンが郡庁所在地に指定された。スポケーン郡の記録の盗難を含む、近くのチェニーとのその後の競争は、最終的にスポケーンに有利に解決されました。建築家ウィリスリッチーは、1895年にフランスのシャトースタイルの郡庁舎を完成させました。

繁栄した1880年代

1880年代は成長と繁栄をもたらしました。 1881年、人口約1,000人のスポケーンが法人化されました。北西部の原生林は鉄道開発の動機となり、1883年に北太平洋が完成し、都市の将来が保証されました。アイダホ州北部のコーダレーン地域とワシントンの北東の隅での鉱物の発見は、最初は金で、次に銀、鉛、亜鉛でブームを引き起こしました。何十年もの間、これらの鉱山は富をスポケーンに注ぎ込んでいました。さらに、南にある肥沃な小麦生産のパルースの丘、スポケーンバレーの灌漑農場、鉄道、木材産業により、スポケーンはインランドエンパイアの誰もが認める経済の中心地となりました。

ゴンザガ大学やセイクリッドハート病院などの永続的な機関が設立されました。街路鉄道システムが確立され、橋が建設され、川の北岸の測量が開始されました。 1886年までに、スポケーンは街灯の取得においてサンフランシスコとポートランドに先んじていました。

1880年代までに、スポケーンは農業および産業の見本市やコンベンションの主要な中心地になりました。 1887年に始まったワシントン-アイダホフェアは、大恐慌の間に中止されたスポケーン州間フェアとして継続されましたが、1952年に復活しました。ナショナルアップルショーは、1908年から1916年までスポケーンで毎年開催されました。灌漑および農業組織、ならびに鉱業および木材産業のための会議がスポケーンで定期的に開催されました。

燃焼と再構築

1880年代は、1889年8月4日に始まった壊滅的な火災で終わり、市内中心部の多くが破壊されました。テントシティーは一時的にダウンタウンのビジネスを収容し、それはいつものように続いた。幸いなことに、建物の多くは保険がかけられており、レンガや石のハンサムで耐久性のある構造にすぐに置き換えられました。火災後のスポケーンは、カートランドK.カッター(1860-1939)や他の著名な建築家の印を押し、すぐにミネアポリスとシアトルの間の最高の都市と見なされました。

おそらく自信の表れとして、1890年の秋、スポケーンは州で最初の産業見本市である北西産業博覧会を開催しました。新しく運営されたワシントン水力会社は、印象的な新しい展示棟に電力を供給しました。その後まもなく建物は全焼したが、博覧会の影響は続いた。

スポケーンの1890年代

その後、1893年の恐慌は、グローバー、ブラウン、キャノンなどの初期の指導者の多くの失業と財産の喪失をもたらしました。火災後の建物の多くの建設に資金を提供していたオランダの住宅ローン会社、北西部と太平洋のHypotheekbankは差し押さえられ、かなりの期間、非常に貴重なスポケーンの不動産がオランダ人によって所有されていました。

パニック後の回復では、新世代の裕福な指導者、主に鉱業や鉄道の男性が現れました。その中には、アマサB.キャンベル、パトリック(パシー)クラーク、オーガストポールセン、レヴィハットン(1860-1928)、DC(ダニエルチェイス)コービン(1832-1918)、ジェイP.グレイブス(1859-1948)、ジョンH.フィンチ、ロバートE.ストラホーン、F。ルイスクラーク。何年にもわたって、彼らはカートランドカッターが設計した邸宅のスポケーンの在庫を増やしました。 1880年代に発行された新聞のいくつかは、ウィリアムH.カウルズの下に統合され、家族新聞王朝を設立しました。 スポーケスマン-レビュー 現在まで続く。 1899年に駐屯していたフォートジョージライトは、1957年に閉鎖されるまで、この都市に軍事的存在感をもたらしました。

すべての道はスポケーンに通じています

1900年、スポケーンの人口は約40,000人でした。間もなく、市は馬車時代から自動車時代への移行を経験しました。街路鉄道は電化されました。スポケーンと周辺の町を結ぶ都市間鉄道システムと、大陸横断鉄道を結ぶフィーダー鉄道。 1905年には、スポケーンで最大の雇用主であるMcGoldrickLumberが設立されました。北太平洋とその後のグレートノーザン鉄道は、スポケーンとインランドエンパイアの農業と経済のユートピアを約束するパンフレットによって定住を促進しました。その後、自動車の登場と道路の改良により、市は「すべての道路がスポケーンに通じる」という宣伝スローガンを真に実現し始めました。

1909年までに、スポケーンには2,600万人の大富豪がいると言われ、中心部の西にあるブラウンズアディションと、ダウンタウンを見下ろす絵のように美しい玄武岩がちりばめられた高さのサウスヒルに高級住宅街が発達していました。裕福な土地所有者は、「追加」に隣接する市立公園が販売する区画の価値を高めることを認識し、その目的のために土地を市に寄付しました。ランドスケープアーキテクトの全国的に有名なオルムステッドブラザーズの会社は、公園、住宅街、プライベートガーデン、そして風光明媚な川のエリアの保全のためのデザインを提案するために持ち込まれました。都市公園の最も影響力のある地元のプロモーターは、公園委員会の初代および長年の会長であるオーブリー・リー・ホワイト(1868-1948)でした。スポケーンの女性クラブは、公園、図書館、芸術の宣伝にも不可欠でした。

仕事と投票

1900年から1910年にかけての巨大な移民ブームは、スポケーンの人口をほぼ40,000人から100,000人以上に増やすのに役立ちました。労働者階級はますます川の北側に定住した。川の南岸に沿って市内中心部の西にある主にフィンランドの「平和の谷」などの民族の飛び地が発達しました。イタリア人、ドイツ人、中国人、その他は、同様の定住と文化的アイデンティティの中心を持っていました。

季節労働者は、ダウンタウンの労働者のホテル、または鉱山や製材所での仕事の間の安宿に住んでいました。 1890年代にコーダレーン鉱山で激しいピッチに達した労働問題は続いた。すでに主要な組合の拠点であるスポケーンは、世界産業労働組合(ウォブリーズ)のいくつかの採用センターの1つになりました。 1909年1月、「言論の自由運動」のデモが大量逮捕につながった。若い女性労働組織者であるエリザベス・ガーリー・フリンの激しい演説とその後の逮捕は、スポケーンをはるかに超えた影響を及ぼしました。

ワシントン州の女性は1910年に投票を受けました。スポケーンの最も有名な参政権擁護者は、カラフルで率直なメイアークライトハットン(1860-1915)で、レヴィハットンの妻でヘラクレス鉱山や他の企業のパートナーでした。スポケーンの社会マトロンに常に受け入れられているわけではありませんが、彼女は州および国レベルで影響力があり、最終的には地元のヒロインになりました。

魅力と楽しさ

コンベンションシティとしてのスポケーンの魅力を高めたのは、そのホテル、特に火事の後に建てられた魅力的な「アーツアンドクラフツ」スタイルのスポケーンホテルでした。世紀の初めに、コンベンションの目的地としてのスポケーンの重要性を高めようとしているビジネスリーダーは、より大きなホテルのアイデアを推進しました。ルイスダヴェンポート(1869-1961)で、彼らはそのようなプロジェクトを立ち上げて管理するのにふさわしい人物を見つけました。カートランドカッターによって設計された彼の壮大なダヴェンポートホテルは1914年にオープンしました。豪華さとおもてなしの雰囲気で、長い間評価されていました。ミシシッピの西にある最高のホテルとして。 1950年代から1960年代にかけて、それは放置され、1985年に閉鎖されました。いくつかの取り壊しの脅威の後、2000年に購入され、以前の壮大さに復元されました。

10代の間の街の自己宣伝は、スポケーン広告クラブの「ミススポケーン」コンテストによって最もよく例証されました。典型的な美人コンテストではなく、魅力的で明るく、明瞭な若い女性が街のホステスと代表として行動することを求めていました。 1912年に選ばれた最初で最も有名なのは、マーガレット・モティでした。彼は驚くべきことに、1939年までその役職に就いていました。

第一次世界大戦に至るまでの数年間、スポケーンは楽しむことを学んでいました。 1895年、ワシントンウォーターパワーは、西行きの街路鉄道の終点にあるスポケーン川の曲がり角にある、すでに目的地の遊園地であるナタトリウムパークを買収しました。最初にプール(名前の由来)、次に娯楽と乗り物の急増が大勢の人々を魅了し、ワシントン水力線の乗客数を増やしました。ナットパークは1968年に閉鎖されましたが、そのクラシックなカルーセルはスポケーンのダウンタウンにあるリバーフロントパークに移転されました。

さらに、電気都市間列車により、スポケーンの東にあるリバティー湖とアイダホ州の国境を越えたコーダリーン湖に簡単に行くことができました。その後、車がこれらの湖や他の湖へのアクセスを容易にするにつれて、スポカナイトは休暇用のコテージを建設し、「湖に行く」ことが夏の標準的な活動になりました。

航空は、飛行のほぼ最初からスポケーンの物語にとって重要であり、1920年代には、この都市は民間、商業、および軍事航空の中心地になりました。 1924年、ワシントン国家警備隊は地元の英雄であるジョン・ファンチャー少佐の下に結成されました。 1927年9月12日、大西洋横断飛行の直後、チャールズ・リンドバーグはスポケーンを訪れてセンセーションを巻き起こしました。 セントルイスの精神。 その月の後半、スポケーンはナショナルエアレースとスポケーンエアダービーを主催し、ニューヨークとサンフランシスコからのレースが市内に集結しました。

1920年代、Mamer Air Transport Companyは、シアトル、スポケーン、ミネアポリス-セント間の商業および郵便ルートを開拓しました。ポール。初期の商用航空は、市の東にあるフェルツフィールドを拠点としていました。西にある現在のスポケーン国際空港は、主要な国内および国際的な航空会社にサービスを提供しています。第二次世界大戦の脅威により、スポケーンに空軍基地が設立されました。最初はガイガーフィールド、次にフェアチャイルド空軍基地が設立され、現在も続いています。

20世紀のアメリカの都市

第一次世界大戦、禁酒法、狂騒の20年代、大恐慌の間のスポケーンの経験は、他のアメリカの都市の経験とほとんど同じでした。スポケーンは赤十字やその他のホームフロントの取り組みを動員しました。 1918年のインフルエンザの流行により、1,000人以上が死亡しました。禁酒法の間、地元のムーンシャイナーは活発な取引を行い、海賊盤の酒はカナダの国境を越えて流れ、法執行機関はしばしば腐敗していました。 1920年代に始まった農業恐慌は、多くの農場の差し押さえをもたらしました。 1897年に鉱業株を取引するために設立されたスポケーン証券取引所は、1929年の暴落で苦しみましたが、1991年まで機能を回復しました。

大恐慌の間、銀行や企業は失敗し、スポケーンの失業率は4分の1であり、スープラインは長かった。しかし、公共事業促進局や市民保全部隊などの救援プログラムは、一時的な雇用と恒久的なインフラの改善をもたらしました。最大のニューディールプロジェクトであるグランドクーリーダムは、間もなく戦争努力に不可欠であり、ワシントン州東部に農村電化と低電気料金を提供し、スポケーンの戦後産業を促進しました。

第二次世界大戦中、スポケーンには、ベロックス海軍補給基地、大規模な方鉛鉱陸軍航空隊補給補給基地(後のフェアチャイルド空軍基地)、ガイガーフィールド、フォートジョージライト、バクスター陸軍病院がありました。さらに、ミード郊外とトレントウッドにある2つの連邦所有のアルミニウム工場は、戦争努力に不可欠であることが証明されました。約15,000人のスポケーンの住民が軍隊に勤務し、その多くが戦争関連産業に雇用されていました。

退役軍人は帰国し、多くはGI法案の下で、ゴンザガ、ウィットワース、イースタン、ワシントン州などの地元の大学や近くの大学に通いました。彼らは戦後のクラッカーボックスの家を新しく建てられた開発で購入し、人気の伝承が「家族を育てるのに良い場所」と宣言したように、子供たちを育てました。戦後のスポケーンは、適度な繁栄と定着した保守的な価値観で惰性で進みました。ビジネス、結婚、社会生活、市民の関与を通じて絡み合った数十の主要な家族が、街を運営し続けました。ブルーカラー労働者は、1946年にヘンリーJ.カイザーがミードとトレントウッドのアルミニウム工場を引き継いだときに後押しを受け、アルミニウムの平時の使用とスポケーンの製造業の基盤を拡大しました。

辞退と更新

1960年代と1970年代の社会的混乱によって比較的無傷でしたが、スポケーンは他の変化を経験しました。特に1967年に州間高速道路90号線が完成すると、都市のスプロール現象が発生し始めました。戦後の郊外のショッピングモールの急増に伴い、ダウンタウンの中心部は衰退しました。いくつかの歴史的建造物は、特徴のないオフィスブロックや駐車場のためのスペースを作るために取り壊されました。幸いなことに、期間中の開発資金の不足は、他の人を鉄球から救いました。長い間汚染された目障りで、鉄道の架台が交差し、見苦しい倉庫や駐車場が並んでいた川のエリアは、無視されたままでした。

スポケーンのビジネスリーダーと市民リーダーは、街の滑りを止めて川を修復する時が来たことに気づき、スポケーンアンリミテッドと呼ばれるグループを結成しました。最初の有給のディレクターであるキングコールの下で、川とその周辺の荒廃した地域を回復するための大胆な計画が形になり始めました。環境をテーマにした世界博覧会であるExpo'74です。骨の折れる資金調達と鉄道や他の不動産所有者との複雑な交渉を通じて、市は土地を取得しました。川は架台の十字架が取り除かれ、南岸の多くの建物が破壊されました。

その代わりに、恒久的なリバーフロントパーク、オペラハウス、コンベンションセンター、Imaxシアター、そして多くの国や組織の一時的なパビリオンが出現しました。オペラハウスは主要なパフォーマーを迎え、コンベンションセンターは重要な環境シンポジウムの会場を提供しました。川の汚染された水は少なくとも一時的に浄化されました。 5月4日に開幕し11月4日まで開催されたExpo'74は、信じられないほどの障害を乗り越え、500万人を超える人々が参加し、改善された都市を去り、大成功を収めました。

難しさ

Expo '74を生み出したエネルギーと協力は、次の20年間持続しませんでした。市政府は焦点が定まっておらず、論争があり、フェアを可能にした官民関係は衰退しました。 1980年代の全国的な不振は、地元で高い失業率と停滞した不動産市場をもたらしました。熟練労働者の相対的な不足は、市内で最も教育を受けた若者の多くの頭脳流出によって悪化しました。

1980年代後半から1990年代初頭にかけて、伝説的なクレセントなどのダウンタウンの主要デパートは、郊外のショッピングモールと競争できなくなり、閉店しました。 1990年代に、カイザーアルミニウムなどの安全と思われる家族賃金産業が所有権を変更し、労働力と年金を大幅に削減しました。

スポケーンの再発明

スポケーン経済全体を活性化するために、市の指導者たちはスポケーンアンリミテッドに代わる新しい組織であるモメンタムで自らを再発明しました。増税に反対する有権者はその提案のいくつかを打ち負かしましたが、モメンタムの努力は最終的に新しいスポーツアリーナと協力的な高等教育センターの始まりにつながりました。

1990年代後半から、スポケーンは楽観的な見方を取り戻しています。医療分野でも輝き続けています。新しい図書館が建設され、北西芸術文化博物館が拡張され、アールデコ調のフォックスシアターが、スポケーンでますます高く評価される交響楽団の本拠地として復元されています。新しいアリーナは、旅行ショーや主要なスポーツイベントを魅了しています。 Bloomsday, an annual footrace founded in 1977, attracts about 50,000 participants each spring. Downtown living is becoming an option as architects and preservationists adapt classic Spokane buildings as residential space and develop former railroad land into a riverside mixed-use "urban village."

The most dramatic and contentious recent development has been River Park Square, a public-private venture creating a downtown mall and parking garage aimed at returning vitality to the city center. Opened in 1999, it resulted in years of litigation, settled in 2005, between its major private backer, the Cowles family, and its public funder, the City of Spokane. A consortium of regional universities is expanding its Spokane campus, educational programs, and technical support to the city. The new convention center under construction should give Spokane a competitive edge. Dwindling manufacturing jobs are being replaced by service and technical opportunities. Although problems remain in the areas of tax base, infrastructure, and public services, comparatively low wages and pockets of poverty, as well as aspects of city government, the future for Spokane looks encouraging. The city's designation by the National Civic League as an All-American City for 2004, the first time since the Expo year of 1974, indicates that cautious local optimism is justified.

The State of Washington
Washington State Department of Archeology and Historic Preservation

Spokane, 1940s

Advertisement for Spokane Interstate Fair, September, 1909

Elkanah Walker (painting by John Mix Stanley), ca. 1860

Courtesy Drury, Elkahah and Mary Walker

James Nettle Glover (1837-1921)

Courtesy Northwest Museum of Arts and Culture

Anthony Cannon (1839-1895)

Courtesy Tornado Creek Publications

Aftermath of Spokane Falls fire, August 4, 1889

Courtesy Northwest Museum of Arts and Culture

Howard Street and Riverside Avenue, Spokane, 1920s

Greetings from Spokane, 1930s

Civic Center, Riverside Avenue, west of downtown Spokane, 1930s

Downtown Spokane, 1930s

Fox Theater, Spokane, 1930s

Davenport Hotel and Restaurant (Kirtland Cutter, restaurant, 1900, hotel, 1914), Spokane, 1950s

Davenport Hotel (Kirtland Cutter and Karl Malmgren 1914 Lindquist Architects, 2002), Spokane, April 18, 2006

Otis Building, First Avenue, Spokane, August 18, 2010

HistoryLink.org Photo by Priscilla Long

Commercial, Norman, and Jefferson buildings, First Avenue, Spokane, August 18, 2010

HistoryLink.org Photo by Priscilla Long

Main entrance, Expo '74, Spokane's World Fair, Spokane, 1974

Riverfront Park, Spokane, August 18, 2010

HistoryLink.org Photo by Priscilla Long

Riverfront Park, Spokane, August 18, 2010

HistoryLink.org Photo by Priscilla Long

Sculpture The Joy of Running Together (David Govedare, 1985), Riverfront Park, Spokane, August 2009

Photo by Glenn Drosendahl

Browne's Addition, Spokane, August 18, 2010

HistoryLink.org Photo by Priscilla Long

Home, Browne's Addition, Spokane, August 18, 2010

HistoryLink.org Photo by Priscilla Long

Tilmont House, W 2014 1st Avenue, Browne's Addition, Spokane, August 18, 2010


Library databases contain reliable information that is generally not available elsewhere on the Web. For this class the following databases will be particularly useful. They can be found in the research databases section of the SCC Library homepage .

" Primary sources are the evidence of history, original records or objects created by participants or observers at the time historical events occurred or even well after events, as in memoirs and oral histories. Primary sources may include but are not limited to: letters, manuscripts, diaries, journals, newspapers, maps, speeches, interviews, documents produced by government agencies, photographs, audio or video recordings, born-digital items (e.g. emails), research data, and objects or artifacts (such as works of art or ancient roads, buildings, tools, and weapons). These sources serve as the raw materials historians use to interpret and analyze the past. &quot

Reference Books with Primary Sources

Located on the 1st floor of the library

  • Annals of America (R973 An72o)
  • American Reader: Words That Moved a Nation (R973 AMERICA)
  • Contemporary American Voices: Significant Speeches in American History, 1945 - Present (R973.92 ANDREWS)
  • Documentary History of the U.S. (R973 Heffner)
  • Encyclopedia of American Historical Documents (R973.03 ENCYCLO)
  • Encyclopedia of the American Revolutionary War (R973.303 ENCYCLO)
  • Eyewitness to America: 500 Years of America in the Words of Those Who Saw It Happen (R 973 EYEWITN)
  • First Encounters: Native Voices on the Coming of the Europeans (R909 FIRST E)
  • Founding the Republic: A Documentary History (R973.3 FOUNDIN)
  • Historic Documents (R973 HISTORI)
  • Milestone Documents in American History (R973 MILESTO) - online version available in the SCC Library'sSalem Pressdatabase
  • Representative American Speeches (R815.5082 R299a)
  • Voices of Civil War America : Contemporary Accounts of Daily Life (R 973.78 VOICES)

Primary Sources in Books That Check Out

Use the Search Box on the Library webpage to combine an historical event or period with words like: correspondence, diaries, interviews, personal narratives, sources, speeches, documents。 Search examples:


The 1880s: Early Settlement & Pioneer Life

1880 marked the start of a time of great change in the Inland Northwest. The area currently home to Riverfront Park began a journey of steady growth, transforming open land into a small manufacturing town. The previous decade had seen Spokane’s first Euro-Americans settle along the south channel of the Spokane River, making their homes on the rocky banks. With new construction emerging amidst the small number of existing mills and cabins, the 1880s saw the beginnings of modern development along the Spokane River and the long journey toward the city of Spokane that we know today.

Downtown Spokane after the Great Fire of 1889
(NW MAC, JEF Research Archives, L86-1064)

The fledgling development surrounding the river drew new residents to the area, slowly increasing the population of Spokane Falls. Expanding industry and the growing number of people exposed the problem of accessing the islands in the middle of the river. Big Island, renamed Havermale Island in 1889, was a tempting place for development because of its central location in the middle of the Spokane River channels. This island, as well as the smaller one nearby originally known as Cannon Island, was only accessible by ferry, boat or canoe. Local residents soon chipped in to fund three bridge crossings. Completed in 1881, these bridges followed the path of Howard Street connecting both the north and south banks of the river to Big Island. With the lands in the middle of the river now connected to the mainland, commercial and industrial properties began to appear more readily throughout the area.

The area along the south bank of the river grew quickly in the early years of the decade. Ten structures of commercial, industrial and residential use occupied the land where the Looff Carrousel and Rotary Fountain sit today. Businesses in the vicinity included a stable, tailor, paint shop and two hotels – the California House and the Delmonico. One of the most prominent operations in the area was Spokane’s first commercial laundry facility, Spokane Steam Laundry, which arrived at this time and was located on Havermale Island near the Howard Street bridge. Adding to the growing industrial area, the New York Brewery occupied the corner of Washington Street and Front Avenue, now known as Spokane Falls Boulevard.

As the end of the 1880s approached, this area contained a wide range of industrial and commercial properties. The biggest of these operations was a large lumber mill. Originally known as A.M. Cannon’s Mill and later merging into the Spokane Mill Company, the lumber operation took up the majority of two blocks on the south bank of the river. In addition to lumber production facilities, the area included a shingle mill on Big Island, the National Iron Works factory, and Samuel Havermale and George Davis’ Echo Roller Mill.

With the continuing movement of new residents to the area, an immigrant population began to establish itself among the mills and industry. The developing Chinese community expanded over the course of the decade to include merchant shops, laundry services and a gaming facility. Despite a city ordinance prohibiting the distribution and use of opium opium dens were known to be located in this area as well. Multiple brothels operated in the blocks along the river, catering to the working men and immigrants far from home. Prostitution was a common occurrence in early western towns as few wives followed their husbands to rough mining camps and railroad towns. Furthermore, strict immigration laws prohibiting wives of Chinese laborers from coming to the U.S. meant female companionship was in high demand.

On August 4 th , 1889, the young community of Spokane was faced with disaster. Known as the Great Fire, flames swept through the wooden structures that made up most of the commercial core, destroying 32 blocks of the city’s downtown. The fire consumed structures as far as the north side of the Howard Street Bridge, in the process destroying the Spokane Steam Laundry. Buildings across three blocks in what is now Riverfront Park were destroyed with very few surviving. The New York Brewery on Washington Street was one that survived the flames while others, such as one of the city’s first hotels, the California House, suffered devastating amounts of damage.

First Monroe Street Bridge – built in 1888 ( Durham, Nelson Wayne, 1859-1938 –
History of the city of Spokane and Spokane County, Washington)

Echo Roller Mill, ca. 1885 – Teakle Collection. Northwest Room.
Spokane Public Library.


HistoryLink.org

Most of downtown Spokane (then known as Spokane Falls) was destroyed by fire on August 4, 1889. The conflagration broke out in an area of flimsy wooden structures and quickly spread to engulf the substantial stone and brick buildings of the business district. Property losses were huge and one person died. After the fire, Spokane experienced the "phoenix effect" typical of many cities destroyed by fire, as fine new buildings of a revitalized downtown rose from the ashes. Accounts of the fire's origin and assignment of blame for its catastrophic expansion illustrate how historical myths begin and are perpetuated.

Smoke and Fire

The summer of 1889 had been hot and dry. On the afternoon of August 4, Adelaide Sutton Gilbert (1849-1932) complained in a letter from nearby Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, of temperatures in the nineties "for ever so long" and "dense smoke from fires all over Northwest" (Nolan, 13). Shortly after 6:00 that evening, the Spokane fire began. The most credible and enduring story of its origin is that it started at Wolfe's lunchroom and lodgings opposite the Northern Pacific Depot on Railroad Avenue. NS Spokane Daily Chronicle of August 5 reported:

Other immediate newspaper accounts attributed the origin to a grease fire in Wolfe's notoriously dirty kitchen. This plausible interpretation has appeared most often in subsequent publications. Years later, Jerome Peltier collected "eyewitness accounts as well as legends of how the fire started" (Peltier, 19). All agreed on the general location, but varied widely as to the cause, including one assertion that it was a cigarette tossed into dry grass. Another story making the rounds was that the lamp that exploded in the upstairs room had been knocked over as "Irish Kate" fended off a drunken admirer.

The Fire Spreads

The flames raced through the flimsy buildings near the tracks. The nearby Pacific Hotel, a fine new structure of brick and granite, was soon engulfed in the wall of fire advancing on the business center. Church and fire station bells alerted the public and the volunteer fire department, which had formed in 1884 as the result of an 1883 fire. Because of insufficient water pressure for the hoses, they were unable to put out the fire. Spokane was no frontier town composed entirely of makeshift wooden structures, but the fire did start in such an area, where rubbish between buildings provided ideal tinder.

The fire consumed that part of the city and then moved on. "In quick succession the magnificent Frankfurt block, the Hyde block, the Washington, Eagle, Tull and Post Office blocks were feeding the flames. Besides the Pacific Hotel, every first class hotel was destroyed" (Chronicle, August 5).

Daniel H. Dwight's Desk

Daniel H. Dwight (1862-1950) was typical of the many people who raced from home to remove contents of their businesses ahead of the flames. A letter describes the futile efforts to save his office in the Opera House:

The flames jumped the spaces opened by dynamiting and soon created their own firestorm. In a few hours after it began, the Great Spokane Fire, as it came to be called, had destroyed 32 square blocks, virtually the entire downtown. The only fatality was George I. Davis, who died at Sacred Heart Hospital of burns and injuries when he fled (or jumped) from his lodgings at the Arlington Hotel.

Many others were treated at the hospital, where the nuns served meals to the newly homeless boardinghouse dwellers, mostly working men, plus others referred to in newspapers as the "sporting element." Estimates of property losses ranged from $5 to $10 million, an enormous sum for the time, with one-half to two-thirds of it insured.

Some of Spokane's leading citizens immediately formed a relief committee, and other cities donated food, supplies, and money. Even Seattle, just recovering from its own disastrous fire of June 6, sent $15,000. The National Guard was brought in to assure public order, to guard bank vaults and business safes standing amid the ruins, and to prevent looting. Mayor Fred Furth issued dire warnings against price gauging. Unemployed men immediately found work clearing the debris, and any who declined the opportunity were invited to leave town.

Businesses resumed in a hastily erected tent city. They included insurance adjusters, railroad ticket offices, banks, restaurants, clothing stores, and even a tent in which the Spokane Daily Chronicle carried on publication. The disaster did not bring out the best in some: One policeman and two aldermen (council members) were caught appropriating relief money and supplies.

Like many western cities devastated by fire, Spokane Falls rebuilt rapidly after the disaster. Within a year its population had risen to 20,000, a threshold that allowed the city to adopt a charter. In March 1891 voters approved the new charter, including an article that changed the city's name from Spokane Falls to Spokane.

Blame Placed and Replaced

Earliest newspaper accounts contained only one explanation for the weak water pressure and failure to check the flames: that Superintendent of Waterworks Rolla A. Jones was away fishing or working on his steamboat -- accounts vary -- instead of tending his post, and that he had left the pumping station in the care of an incompetent substitute. S. S. Bailey of the City Council claimed to have run "to the pumping station as soon as the alarm was sounded and found that Superintendent Jones had left a man in charge there, who, by his own admission, was totally incompetent to handle the machinery, not knowing how to increase the speed of the pumps" (Spokane Falls Review, August 6, 1889) Other papers as far away as ニューヨークタイムズ repeated this story almost verbatim.

To its credit, the City Council quickly appointed a Committee on Fire and Water to explore all possible reasons for the failure. Its report on August 14 exonerated Jones, but he resigned anyway. Refuting newspaper accounts, their report stated: "It appears that the man left in charge of [the] pumping station during the absence of Supt. Jones is competent and reliable and of twenty years of practical experience in machinery and pumps . ."

The committee attributed the failure of water pressure to a burst hose rather than dereliction of duty and further reported that some members felt "bad management on the part of the fire department should be considered as the main cause of such an extensive conflagration" (Nolan, 50). NS クロニクル editorial of August 6 agreed: "The need of a good paid department is evident. It should be one of the first things provided for when the city gets on its feet." Although this official interpretation of events was made known, Jones's culpability was already firmly lodged in the public mind and has been repeated in publications ever since.

Other factors besides weak water pressure contributed to the extent of the disaster. No doubt lingering smoke from forest fires delayed widespread awareness of the fire. The blaze started in a trash-ridden area of flimsy wooden structures. There was no citywide siren system. The pumping station had no telephone. The volunteer firefighters had inadequate leadership, were poorly equipped, and had to haul their own hose carts. After the fire, the city prohibited wooden structures in or near the newly rising downtown, installed an electric fire alarm system, and established a professional, paid fire department, with horse-drawn equipment.

Myths of History

Although they corrected these problems, city fathers may have been less than zealous about dispelling the Jones story. Gina Hames analyzed the Spokane fire from the perspective of historical myth-making, and concluded: "

Taking the blame for a disaster the size of Spokane's could have meant political and social ruin for these civic leaders." And the people of Spokane "wanted a simple answer. 。 They, like most people, wanted simplicity . to be able to vent their anger in a single direction, rather than rationally discerning that the fault actually lay with no one entity. Even historians can fall into this trap of 'monocausation' -- finding a single, simple explanation published in the earliest accounts and then repeating it indefinitely thereafter"(Hames, 15, 16).

The State of Washington
Washington State Department of Archeology and Historic Preservation

After the Great Spokane Fire of August 4, 1889, guard and workmen preparing to open vault of First National Bank, Spokane, August 1889

Courtesy A View of the Falls

Report on August 4 Great Spokane Fire, August 6, 1889

Courtesy Spokane Falls Review

View of devastation after Great Spokane Fire, north from Railroad Avenue, Spokane Falls, August 1889


RADIO MAINTENANCE

Offering keen competition to the technical skill of the Radio Repairmen were two omnipresent obstacles -- shortage of necessary repair items and working under adverse conditions. But these obstacles were not strong enough to hold back the expert repair and maintenance service the section rendered to the Division.

The peak of repair and production was reached when teams of the section took over control of one of the largest radio-producing factories in Germany and converted it to their own use. Production was continued, but this time for Uncle Sam.

Needless to say, there isn't a battalion or company in the Division for whom numerous repairs have been made on strange-looking GI radios. Many officers and men of the Division have brought their own sets around for check-up, hasty repairs, etc. And certainly all of these were not Special Service radios, either.


NWS Spokane Office History

The first weather office in downtown Spokane was at the Spokane Times Building as a Signal Service Corp office. Observations began in 1881.

Fires destroyed the office in 1884 and 1889. When the Weather Bureau took over, the office moved several times in downtown Spokane. It was at the Blalock Building, then the Jamieson Building in 1892.

The first Meteorologist In Charge, Charles Stewart 1880-1916 (left). The Jamieson Building around 1900 (right).

The weather office moved to the Empire State Building in 1908 and remained there for a few decades.

Empire State Building in the early 1900s

Weather Bureau - Felts Field

Weather observations moved to Felts Field in 1932. The standard weather balloon observations using helium began in August 1939. Meanwhile the Weather Bureau office moved all operations to Felts Field by January 1, 1941.

Felts Field in the early 1940s (left). Meteorologist In Charge, E.M. Keyser from 1916-1941 (right).

The Spokane Weather Bureau had a diverse staff with many duties, from surface to upper air observations.

Meteorologists view data from an airplane in 1935 (left). Evelyn Conan records weather balloon data in 1944 (right).

Weather Bureau - Geiger Field

The weather office moved to Geiger Field in December 1947.

Views of Spokane Weather Bureau at Geiger Field in the 1950s (left). Meteorologist In Charge, Robert McComb 1943-1957 (right).

Weather at Spokane International

The weather office moved into the terminal building of the Spokane International airport in May 17, 1965 and remained their through the 1970s. The weather balloon switched from helium to hydrogen in 1965.

Spokane Internal Airport Terminal Building in the 1970s (left). Meteorologist In Charge, Robert Small from 1957-1979 (right).

NWS Building at Spokane Airport

The office moved into it's own building on Nov 15, 1979 and stayed at this location until the mid 1990s. The Mt Spokane NOAA Weather Radio was installed in 1979.

A bird's eye view of the NWS Building at the Spokane Airport (right). Meteorologist In Charge, Ken Holmes from 1979-1994 (left).

NWS Spokane to Rambo Road

This move was the start of the NWS Modernization and more room was needed for the radar. While the airport location could not be sold to the NWS, Fairchild AFB had land available on Rambo Road.

This site on Rambo Road was a former communication building.

Office Construction

The office began construction in 1994 and finished in the summer of 1995. The change over from human surface observations to Automated Surface Observation System at the Spokane Office took place on September 1, 1995.

The framing of the office and finished building (left). Meteorologist In Charge, John Livingston from 1994-2016 oversaw the construction and the move of the new office (right).

Upper Air Observations

The upper air observations were moved from the airport to Rambo Road in September 1995. The first official weather balloon launch on Rambo Road was on September 22, 1995.

Doppler Weather Radar

The radar construction started in 1995 and completed in early 1996. The first and only weather radar in the Inland NW.

Weather Forecast Office

While the Spokane office had responsibility of its local warnings, The first forecasts and discussions originated from NWS Spokane in March 3, 1996.

NWS Spokane in the 21st Century

The NWS Spokane office is staffed 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We have a strong commitment to our partners and our community across the Inland NW.

September 2020 marks the 25th Anniversary of NWS Spokane on Rambo Road!


Here are images of the preliminary plans and stages of current office.

Answers to the little known questions about the NWS Spokane office


Why did the NWS Spokane office move from the airport?

So how did the National Weather Service wind up on Rambo Road? In the early/mid 1990s, the NWS went through an extensive modernization plan. The central idea of this plan was to install a network of new doppler weather radars across the county. The radars are sometimes referred to as 88D, which stands for "1988 Doppler". New NWS offices would also be built for nearly every new radar

At the time of the modernization, the NWS office was located at the Spokane International Airport in a building in the middle of a large parking lot. You can still see that old NWS building today. But placing a tall weather radar at a growing airport didn't seem like such a good idea. So an alternate location was needed for the radar

Fairchild AFB owned some land north of the base on Rambo Road which was no longer needed. The Air Force was happy to transfer ownership of this land over to the National Weather Service, and that became the location of the radar and the new office.

So why did Fairchild AFB own 20 acres of land a few miles north of the base?

We wondered that as well, until one day, we had a visitor drop by the office. He had worked at this location when he was in the Air Force. And he had the answer to our question. According to this gentleman, back in the Cold War days of nuclear testing, the Air Force had a method of monitoring the globe for nuclear detonations to determine if a country had conducted a nuclear test. The technology monitored certain radio frequencies. Unfortunately, there was just too much radio interference on the base. So a location was selected a few miles away which would avoid the interference and allow the Air Force to "listen" to these radio frequencies for nuclear testing. As the cold war and nuclear testing ended, the need for the monitoring station on Rambo Rd ceased.

When the land was signed over to the NWS, two abandoned buildings still remained on the property. In the initial plan was to use one of the buildings for the NWS office. Ultimately, the building was found to have asbestos and was instead demolished. However, a storage building from those early days still remains on site and in use today. You can see it on our web camera.

What changed with the new office on Rambo Road?

Prior to the modernization, the NWS had a structure where about one office in each state would do the forecast for the entire state. Some of the larger states had 2 offices, and some smaller ones were shared by one office. In the Northwest, those offices were located in Seattle, Portland, Boise, and Great Falls. Smaller offices (like Spokane) had responsibility for issuing a forecast for the local metro area. In addition, the main mission of the Spokane office was:

  • Taking hourly weather observations for the airport.
  • Launching weather balloons twice per day.
  • Issuing thunderstorm warnings for Spokane and the nearby counties.

The Spokane NWS office staff at that time consisted of an office supervisor, three Meteorologist Technicians, two Meteorologist Interns, and two Electronic Technicians. The meteorologists worked shifts around the clock, with one person always there taking weather observations.

The modernization changed the old "two tiered" profile to one where 124 "equal" offices divided up responsibility of the country, largely based on radar locations and coverage. This brought additional staff and new duties to the office. The current staff of 25 includes 15 forecasters, a hydrologist, an IT specialist, and additional support staff. While we no longer take weather observations, we continue to do the weather balloon observations. In addition, we are responsible for a much larger area that covers most of eastern Washington as well as the Idaho Panhandle, 21 counties in all.

When did the move take place?

Construction on the new building began in 1994. This was actually a little earlier than planned. But a large wildfire (Tyee Creek) in the central Washington Cascades that summer had caused NWS officials to move up the timeline of the office and radar construction. The office and upper air (weather balloon) buildings were completed in the summer of 1995. At that point, 4 additional staff members had already been hired and were crammed into the little building at the airport. So the administrative and support staff for the office moved into the new building on Rambo Rd in July 1995.

The operational forecasting and observation program remained at the airport for a short time. Weather observations up to this point were taken with human observers. A new technology called Automated Surface Observing System (ASOS) was being installed at all airports, replacing the manual observations. The ASOS at Spokane Airport took over official surface weather observation duties at midnight, 1 September 1995. This allowed the operational meteorologists to move over to the new NWS building, officially beginning the start of operations at Rambo Rd.

The weather balloon launches still remained at the airport for a few more weeks. That program moved over to Rambo Rd later in September, with the first weather balloon launch taken on the afternoon of 22 September 1995. The radar would be constructed later that winter and went online in February of 1996.

The transfer of forecast duties from the Seattle and Boise offices took place in early 1996. The first official forecasts and discussions were released on March 3, 1996


ビデオを見る: Spokane